Hi! Iím Bryan Shilowich, a fourth year graduate student in the Brain and Cognitive Sciences program. I came here by way of New Jersey (youth) and Boston (BA from Tufts, MS from Brandeis). [donít forget to insert joke about the weather being better here in LA. make it funny!]
My primary research focus here in the IUL is understanding phonagnosia, the auditory homologue to the more famous prosopagnosia (aka face blindness). For most of you, hearing a voice youíre familiar with, unaided by contextual or visual clues (imagine getting a phone call with no caller ID), there is a distinct moment of ďA-ha! This voice belongs to this person!Ē For people with phonagnosia, this ability simply is not present. My research is investigating:
1) How prevalent is this condition?
2) What is occurring where in the brain in this process of recognition?
3) How are phonagnosia and prosopagnosia similar?
- Xu, X., Biederman, I., Shilowich, B. E., Herald, S. G., Amir, O., & Allen, N. E. (2015). Developmental phonagnosia: Neural correlates and a behavioral marker. Brain & Language, 149, 106-117.
Posters and Presentations
- Biederman, I., Herald, S. B., Xu, X., Amir, O., Shilowich B. E., and Margalit, E. (2015). Phonagnosia, a Voice Homologue to Prosopagnosia. Poster presented at the Annual Meeting of the Vision Sciences Society, St. Petersburg Beach, Fl. May.
- Shilowich,B., Shah, M., Biederman, I, Tjan, B., Keller, B. (2014) Is LOC Responsive to Object Familiarity? Poster presented at the VSS Conference, St. Pete Beach, Florida in May 2015.
- Shilowich, B., & Biederman, I. (2014). An Estimate of the Incidence of Developmental Phonagnosia. Poster presented at OPAM, Long Beach, California.
- Biederman, I., Xu, X., Herald, S. B., Shilowich, B. E., Amir, O., & Allen, N. E. (2013) Developmental Phonagnosia implicates a neural correlate for perceiving speaker identity. Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the Society for Neuroscience, San Diego, November.
University of Southern California
Image Understanding Lab HNB 316
3641 Watt Way
Los Angeles, CA 90089-2520
Lab Phone: (213) 740-6102
Fax: (213) 740-5687